What are the pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindications?
Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy is considered safe without harmful side effects. The main pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindication is using an applicator over implanted devices like pacemakers, cochlear implants, intrathecal pumps, etc. There is a chance the PEMF would shut the device off or interfere with its function. Some other pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindications to be considered include pregnancy, active bleeding, Hyperthyroidism, malignancies, immune suppression medications, acute viral disease, Psychoses, and breast implants. There is much research being conducted on pulsed electromagnetic field therapy and how it might affect and the contraindications to these conditions. Overall pulsed electromagnetic field therapy is considered safe without harmful side effects.
Pulsed Electromagnetic field therapy contraindications examined
It has not been proven how pulsed electromagnetic field therapy might affect some conditions and what contraindication might arise. PEMF therapy is considered safe but some contraindications could be anticipated with certain conditions until more research is completed. Precautions should be used when considering pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindications for these conditions;
- Pregnancy – There has been little research on pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindications in this area.
- Implanted Devices – PEMF exposure directly over devices could cause them to shut off.
- Myasthenia gravis – Patients have reported improvement in muscle strength using pulsed electromagnetic field therapy. There is a chance that muscle weakness could be aggravated, causing autoimmune system to temporarily worsen.
- Active Bleeding (especially into the gut) –A pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindication could be increased bleeding. PEMF reduces platelet aggregation, and bleeding may not clot readily. Bleeding should be controlled before using PEMF.
- Hyperthyroidism (and other glands) – A pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindication could be an over-stimulation of glands if used excessively at high intensities. This could aggravate glandular function.
- Acute Viral Disease (active Tuberculosis) – PEMF should not be the primary treatment as white blood count responses may be temporarily dampened, resulting in brief flares. PEMF is used only as a therapeutic therapy, not the major source of treatment.
- Malignancies – Current evidence suggest no probable relationship to health problems with therapeutic low-frequency pulsed electromagnetic field therapy, there has not been much research in this area and caution should be exercised. PEMF should only be used as a complimentary therapy.
- Psychoses – In combination with medicines, a pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindication could be a production of unpredictable results that could cause significant reductions in blood pressure.
- Hypotension/ Hypertension – a pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindication of sudden significant blood pressure decrease may occur causing vertigo, fainting, etc.
Always talk to your doctor before starting any alternative treatment. Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy is often used alongside other modalities. PEMF is not thought to have negative side effects or complications when it is combined with conventional medical treatment.
How does Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy work?
Pulsed electromagnetic field is used for accelerated therapeutic purposes. Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy works on a cellular level to help our bodies heal itself. Our bodies contain a large number of cells which function electrically. Cells cannot be viable if there is no electrical potential left. Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy can help stimulate and rejuvenate the body’s cells. Working on a cellular level, pulsed electromagnetic field therapy helps to improved blood supply and circulation. Cells become well oxygenated. Cells are able to detoxify, regenerate and reproduce. The increased oxygenation in blood helps injured tissues to regenerate and heal faster. Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy boosts the immune system enabling our body to resist and defend against infection and inflammation. Amanda Meyers, MD explains how pulsed electromagnetic field therapy works and benefits our bodies in this video.
What does Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy Help?
Much research has been done on pulsed electromagnetic field therapy and how it affects our body and different ailments. Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy has been found to be helpful without contraindications in;
- Osteoarthritis of the knee
- Healing rate of non-union fractures
- Reducing Pain & Inflammation
- Muscle strains
- Improving mood/ Relieving stress
- Improving immunity system and help prevent infection
- Enabling faster recovery and healing
Recently Dr. Oz talked about pulsed electromagnetic field therapy on his popular television show. This helped bring PEMF to the attention of the general public. There are many testimonials available from people that have used pulsed electromagnetic field therapy on themselves or their animals with positive results.
Where is Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy Available?
Many practitioners offer pulsed electromagnetic field in their offices. PEMF is easily applied through your clothing and usually lasts for 10-30 minutes per visit. Most patients find it to be relaxing. Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy devices are also available for sale or rent from Magna Wave. The professionals at Magna Wave can help you find the right device to suit your needs. They can also help put you in contact with a certified practitioner in your area that can answer your questions on pulsed electromagnetic field therapy contraindications.
Call Magna Wave Today to Learn More about How Safe Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy is!